If you are an Ohio woman who earns a substantial salary at your job, you undoubtedly are rightfully proud of the success you have achieved in the business world. Unfortunately, however, your high earning capacity may not serve you well if you get a divorce. How so? If your husband earns less than you, he may ask the judge to order that you pay him spousal support after the divorce, and the judge may well grant his request.

If you have never before encountered the word “manimony,” Wife.org reports that manimony is the nickname given to support payments that courts require some former wives to pay to some former husbands. Admittedly, manimony occurs in only a small number of divorces today, roughly 15%. However, it represents a trend as more women continue to successfully climb the corporate ladder and attain high-paying positions. In fact, it likely will surprise you to learn that the woman earns the bigger or only paycheck in over 40% of American homes.

Manimony considerations

If your husband requests manimony, the judge will take numerous factors into consideration before granting it, including the following:

  • How much you currently earn compared to how much your husband currently earns
  • How much you likely will earn in the future compared to how much your husband likely will earn
  • How much education and training you possess compared to how much your husband possesses
  • Whether your husband likely will increase his earning potential if he obtains additional education and training
  • How much of a nonfinancial contribution your husband has made to your marriage
  • How long ago the two of you got married

Manimony duration

If the judge requires you to make manimony payments after your divorce, (s)he likely will limit your payments to a maximum of 10 years. In addition, (s)he will likely add the provision that your payments will cease if and when your former husband remarries. Finally, if (s)he grants your husband manimony because he needs additional education and training, (s)he likely will allow you to stop making payments once he completes that education or training.

This is general educational information and not intended to provide legal advice.